Friday, September 05, 2008

LOUVRE in PARIS







The Louvre is the world's most famous art museum which houses the most famous paintings such as - Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, The Virgin and Child with St. Anne, and Madonna of the Rocks; Jacques Louis David's Oath of the Horatii; Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People; and Alexandros of Antioch's Venus de Milo. I think that I was not as blown away by these pieces as I thought I would be. The piece that I was impressed by was Richard Serra's Clara Clara (1983) outside the museum in the Tuileries Gardens.
Also, this place is HUGE. Its was overwhelming. The museum lies between the River Seine and the Rue de Rivoli on the Right Bank in the 1st arrondissement neighborhood. The museum, which contains some of the world's most celebrated artworks, is divided among eight curatorial departments. I really wanted to see the Mona Lisa in person. It was sort of a dissappointment. Small painting in a big room with hundreds of people.

No comments: