Friday, September 05, 2008

COLETTE PARIS



I have been in France for about a week now. I have been busy running around the city trying to see all the design shops, and cool flea markets for vintage pieces for my apt.

I have to say of all the places and districts that I have seen and visited, this one particular store blew me away. I have never seen so many carefully selected and cool items in one store.

Its what Barneys New York, Jeffreys, Maxfields aspire to be. The owner named Sarah curates this amazing store where every item selected is either a limited edition item, new designers such Marni, Lucien Pellat-Finet... or just a cool item like Fabien Baron candles, limited edition Nike's, collaborated items with designers or companies such as the GAP, or furnishings by Tom Dixon and Ron Arad, hello kitty items, amazing art books, designer sneakers, hi-tech electronic items that are hard to find...and it goes on.

When I went for a visit today the store was blasting cool Trendy Music (not quite mainstream yet), filled with flashy UK or American fashion editors, international industrial and graphic designers, local hipsters all hanging out... also in awe of the amazing finds. LA isn't the only place with vapid fashion seeking money spending superficial folks like to hang. What a relief. At least in New York, people try and hide their money, but much like LA, the Parisans like to flash it around.

Best part of the store was the basement WATER BAR and RESTAURANT... fresh quiches, salads, and cakes, plus three-dozen brands of bottled water. This is the hippest lunch place I have seen in years, it makes Ivy look like a joke.
Collette is Open Monday to Saturday 11am to 7:30pm. Its on the hottest shopping area in Paris called Rue St. Honore. Cathy Horyn wrote about it in the NY Times a while ago and I don't regret a minute of my time there.

No comments: