Sunday, April 22, 2012

SPANISH PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO LIVE

















I just got back from Spain. Three weeks in Spain...can do amazing this for your mind and your belly.
I went to Valencia to do a house swap for a month, and then decided to travel to Madrid and Barecelona as well as Italy and Ireland. I know what you are going to ask me...what was my favorite.

SPAIN...Well, its hard to say.

Its like asking me what is my favorite Steven Spielberg movie...they are all so genius.

VALENCIA...captured my heart...warm people, great food, and chill attitude...the mercado central and the city center whwew the tourist flock to to see the cathedrals and taste the spanish delights such as the gelato...keeps haunting me to go back soon.
Go the a small hidden ceramic store I found called YUSTE...its the best store I Found in Valencia. PZA. Miracle del Mocadorset, 5 46001 Valencia. tel. 630-37-36-03. They honor siesta hours so skip going there from 3-5. I did alot of cooking there and spent alot of time at the mercado buying the fresh produce, saffron and iberica ham and made some pretty nice dinners at home.

We took the Renfre train to MADRID that took about 2.5 hours.

MADRID, got me the first five minutes driving to the hotel. Stunning Architecture and history.
If you are staying in Madrid...stay at the ROOM MATE LAURA hotel. it was my favorite hotels of all the that I stayed in Spain. Its hard to find, but design wise, the coolest and the cleanest and the nicest. They speak perfect english, and your better off tipping the front desk 10 euros when you check in, so that the rest of your stay is with smiles and enthusiasm.
I would pay the extra $30 for the loft style rooms. We had the best room in the whole joint! I think it was 210.
The Retiro Park and Calle Arsenal were like LA's 3rd street or NY's Union Square. Great little shops and people watching. The Palacio area and its parks were quite remarkable. WE found this little mercado near the palace and had the best meal in Madrid there. Crab Rolls, Iberica Ham with melted Brie on toasted bread, homeade mozzerlla with apricot jam and basil, and fresh cut potato chips.
For the museums, not so impressed with the Prado museum that was packed like a Tokyo subway but the Thyssen-Bornemisza
just opposite the Prado Gallery was my favorite.
You will see Durero, Titian, Goya, Degas, Renoir, Kandinsky or Rothko.
Thyssen-Bornemisza Art Gallery
Street: Paseo del Prado, 8





Here are a few photos that highlight some of my favorite moments in each city.

No comments: